Learning Inside Out
Key Strategies that Transform Learning
From Environmental Education to Citizenship and Sustainability
We are back with more at-Home & at-School Education Resources for Parents & Teachers!
In these uncertain times, we know the roles of both parents and teachers have changed. In addition to the global challenges we're all experiencing, many are now encountering the challenge of keeping kids engaged and learning at home, virtually or physically distanced at school. Learning has been turned inside out!
To support parents and teachers, LSF is curating this weekly collection of activities drawn from our Resources for Rethinking (R4R) database, so you can be confident they have been vetted by teachers and connected to Canadian education outcomes, wherever you are.
- LSF's Step Outside Nature Guides, focused on seasonal happenings
- The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which cover everything from climate change to equity
While we want to support learning both inside and out, we're putting a special emphasis on outdoor activities. We always encourage outdoor learning to help kids develop an affinity with the earth, but now is a particularly good time to step outside. Experiencing nature can have a positive affect on mental health for kids, parents and educators—something we could all use, we're sure! (However, please remember to observe any and all physical distancing practices in place in your area!)
We hope you and your kids will find the activities accessible, interactive, and engaging.
Keep an eye on our social media where we will be announcing the resources of the week with a special focus on all of our outdoor activities to keep your students and children as safe and engaged as possible this fall.
- Fall Week 1: Step Outside Early September Your Local Insect Symphony (Sep 7)
- Fall Week 2: Hot Topic: Ozone Day (Sep 13)
- Fall Week 3: Step Outside: Bountiful Roadside Blooms (Sep 21)
- Fall Week 4: Introduction to the SDG's (Sep 28)
- Fall Week 5: Step Outside: Nature Paints (October 5)
- Fall Week 6: UN SDG 2: Zero Hunger
- Fall Week 7: Step Outside: Migrating Waterbirds
- Week 1 - Step Outside: Spring Awakenings(Mar 30)
- Week 2 - The UN SDGs: Intro to the Sustainable Development Goals (Apr 6)
- Week 3 - Step Outside: Bird Alert (Apr 13)
- Week 4 - The UN SDGs: Earth Week! SDG13 - Climate Action (Apr 20)
- Week 5 - The UN SDGs: SDG 12 - Responsible Consumption & Production (Apr 26)
- Week 6 - Step Outside: Decoding Loon Language (May 3)
- Week 7 - The UN SDGs: SDG 15 - Life on Land (May 10)
- Week 8 - Step Outside: International Day for Biological Diversity (May 18)
- Week 9 - The UN SDGs: SDG 7 - Affordable and Clean Energy (May 24)
- Week 10 - Step Outside: Canadian Environment Week (May 31)
- Week 11 - The UN SDG's: SDG 14 - Life Below Water (June 7)
- Week 12 - Step Outside: Early June Happenings (June 14)
- Week 13 - Hot Topic - National Indigenous Peoples Day (June 21)
Below you can find our first 13 weeks of Learning Inside Out resources organized by grade level:
*If you have trouble accessing any of the links, it may be because your organization is blocking external sites. Try signing out of your board-affiliated gmail account and trying again!*
Learning Inside Out supported by: