UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development
The UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (The Decade) began in 2005 and runs until 2014. The goal of The Decade is to integrate the principles, values, and practices of sustainable development into all aspects of education and learning. Implementation of the Decade is dependant on the collaboration of international stakeholders.
The implementation of the Decade was developed in Vilnius, Lithuania on March 17 -18, 2005. A group of 200 delegates participated in a high-level meeting of Environment and Education Ministries. The purpose of the meeting was to adopt the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe’s (UNECE) Strategy and Implementation Framework for the Decade.
The aim of the UNECE Strategy is to encourage UNECE member States to develop and incorporate ESD into their formal education systems, in all relevant subjects, and in non- formal and informal education. This will equip people with the knowledge and skills of sustainable development, making them more competent and confident. This will increase the opportunities for a healthy and productive life in harmony with nature and with concerns for social values, gender equity and cultural diversity
- Ensure that policy, regulations and operational frameworks support ESD
- Promote SD through formal, non-formal and informal learning
- Equip educators with the competence to include SD in their teaching
- Ensure that adequate tools and materials for ESD are accessible
- Promote research on and development of ESD
- Strengthen cooperation on ESD at all levels.
LSF, in partnership with Environment Canada and Manitoba Education, Citizenship and Youth is leading the Canadian response to the UN Decade through the implementation of a series of initiatives.
LSF's Role in the Decade:
- ESD Canada
- Provincial and Territorial Working Groups
- Sustainability & Education Academy (SEdA)
- Canadian Sustainability Curriculum Review Initiative
Key Learning Strategies for Environmental Education, Citizenship and Sustainability