Water Docs at School Action Projects Program
Brought to you by Learning for a Sustainable Future (LSF) and Ecologos, Water Docs at School (WDAS) is a free, curriculum-connected community action program that actively engages Ontario, New Brunswick and Manitoba grade 7-8 students in addressing water issues through authentic inquiry, project-based learning, and video production. This program builds students’ understanding of water and instills in them a commitment to water stewardship.
New this year:
We are so excited to announce that we have expanded the Water Docs at School program beyond Ontario classrooms! The 2021/2022 Water Docs at School (WDAS) Program will connect to Ontario, New Brunswick and Manitoba grade 7&8 Classes!
Program FAQ 2021/2022
What are we committing to?
- Completing the WDAS lesson plans, which introduce water issues and focus on your local watershed & the great lakes
- Planning & executing an Action Project (or multiple Projects) to tackle a water issue in your community
- Filming your process
- Producing a 4-minute film (or multiple films) about your learning, your action, and your impacts
- Submitting your film(s) for judging
What do we get?
- Free lesson plans & supporting resources
- An invitation to the WDAS Virtual Youth Forum (Sept 27-Nov 5)
- A class webinar with TVO's The Water Brothers
- Monthly virtual check-ins
- Recognition certificates
- A virtual recognition day celebrating all participants and showcasing the top films
- Submitted films are eligible for awards for Best Project and Best Film! Winning films receive a class prize and their films
What is the timeline?
- Sept 24 2021 - program registration deadline
- Fall 2021 - Virtual Youth Forum
- Early Spring 2022 - film submissions due
- Late Spring 2022 - virtual recognition day and award presentations
What is the Virtual Youth Forum?
A FREE interactive virtual event series (Sept 27-Nov 5, 2021) designed to ENGAGE students inlocal water issues, EQUIP them with the skills needed to make change and EMPOWER them to take action!
The Forum includes:
- 3hrs of virtual professional development
- 1hr virtual kickoff event (featuring TVO's The Water Brothers!)
- 3 x 1hr virtual student workshops on water issues
- 1hr virtual Action Project planning session
- 1hr virtual Filmmaking How-To session
- $200 Action Project grant per participating school
The Youth Forum is NOT a mandatory part of the WDAS program (but it is highly recommended)! Pre-Register now!
Why should we sign up?
WDAS is connected to Ontario, New Brunswick & Manitoba curriculum for grades 7 & 8. It will help you engage your students in project-based and inquiry learning, connect them with their local community, foster water stewardship and global citizenship, develop 21st century competencies, and gain skills in technology, creativity, leadership, and more!
Any other questions? Email Sam at samantha@LSF-LST.ca.
Announcing the 2020/2021 Winners!
After an extremely challenging year, we were thrilled to receive WDAS submissions from some exceptionally committed schools across the province. Congratulations to all who participated in the program this year.
Our winners are as follows. Click the links to view their films!
BEST PROJECT - DUFFIN'S DEFENDERS (DDSB@Home Elementary)
BEST PROJECT RUNNER UP- BIODEGRADABLE DETERGENTS (HDSB Virtual Elementary School East)
BEST PROJECT HONOURABLE MENTION - THE MURKY REALITY (TDSB Virtual Elementary School LC4)
BEST FILM - MICROPLASTICS: TINY PLASTICS ARE A MASSIVE ISSUE (Maple Grove Public School)
BEST FILM RUNNER UP - REDUCING FOOD WASTE: INSPIRATION FROM OUR ELDERS (TDSB Virtual Elementary School LC4)
BEST FILM HONOURABLE MENTION - SUSTAINABLE CLOTHING (Mount Royal Public School)
Congratulations to all 2020/2021 participants!
To hear from a pair of teachers about their own exciting experiences with the program, you can see that conversation on our Youtube page or below:
For more information please contact: