Water Docs at School
Brought to you by LSF and Water Docs, Water Docs at School (WDaS) is a free, curriculum-connected community action program that actively engages Ontario, New Brunswick and Manitoba grade 7-8 students in addressing water issues through authentic inquiry, project-based learning, and video production. This program builds students’ understanding of water and instills in them a commitment to water stewardship.
New this year
We are so excited to announce that we have expanded the Water Docs at School program beyond Ontario classrooms! The 2021/2022 WDaS Program will connect to Ontario, New Brunswick and Manitoba grade 7&8 Classes!
Stay tuned for 2022/2023 program details!
Program FAQ 2021/2022
- Completing the WDaS lesson plans, which introduce water issues and focus on your local watershed & the great lakes
- Planning & executing an Action Project (or multiple Projects) to tackle a water issue in your community
- Filming your process
- Producing a 4-minute film (or multiple films) about your learning, your action, and your impacts
- Submitting your film(s) for judging
- Free lesson plans & supporting resources
- WDaS Virtual Youth Forum
- Webinar with TVO's The Water Brothers
- Virtual check-ins & support
- Recognition certificates
- A virtual recognition day celebrating all participants and showcasing the top films
- Submitted films are eligible for awards for Best Project and Best Film! Winning films receive a class prize and their films are featured on our site to inspire next year's WDaS students!
- Virtual Youth Forum - join anytime!
- May 25, 2022 - film submissions due
- June 2022 - virtual recognition day and award presentations
A FREE interactive virtual event series (Oct-Nov, 2021) designed to ENGAGE students in local water issues, EQUIP them with the skills needed to make change and EMPOWER them to take action!
The Forum includes:
- 3hrs of virtual professional development
- 1hr virtual kickoff event (featuring TVO's The Water Brothers!)
- virtual, hands-on student workshops on water issues
- 1hr virtual Action Project planning session
- 1hr virtual Filmmaking How-To session
- $500 Action Project grant to support water action & filmmaking!
The Youth Forum is NOT a mandatory part of the WDAS program (but it is highly recommended!)
WDaS is connected to Ontario, New Brunswick & Manitoba curriculum for grades 7 & 8. It will help you engage your students in project-based and inquiry learning, connect them with their local community, foster water stewardship and global citizenship, develop 21st century competencies, and gain skills in technology, creativity, leadership, and more!
After another challenging year, we were thrilled to receive over 50 WDaS submissions from some exceptionally committed schools across the province. Congratulations to all who participated in the program this year.
Our winners are as follows. Click the links to view their films!
- BEST PROJECT – EFFECTS OF LAUNDRY DETERGENT (Sunningdale Public School)
- BEST PROJECT RUNNER UP- MIMICO CREEK WATER WATCHERS (Morning Star Middle School)
- BEST PROJECT HONOURABLE MENTION – SURFACE RUNOFF AND FLOODS (Royal Orchard Middle School)
- BEST PROJECT HONOURABLE MENTION – AQUACLOTH (Mount Royal Public School)
- BEST FILM – CARBON CYCLERS (Charles Gordon Senior Public School)
- BEST FILM RUNNER UP – HIDDEN COST OF FOOD (Fern Avenue Public School)
- BEST FILM HONOURABLE MENTION – SINGLE USE PLASTIC – A DOCUMENTARY (Bakersfield Public School)
- BEST FILM HONOURABLE MENTION – IMIQ (Charles Gordon Senior Public School)
Congratulations to all 2021/2022 participants!